Mar 11, 2009

Does Your Personal Utopia Involve Your Mother? Lord Help Me, Mine Does.

Tonight as we were riding in the car I was reading off questions from my newly purchased book, Conversation Piece. Maybe it's just me, but I llllooooovvvvee books that pose random questions that those around you are forced to answer. At least those that are around me are.

Here was one of the questions me, mom and Meridith tried to answer:

Envision the most perfect scene you can think of - a personal utopia, if you will. Imagine a scene that would be so lovely you would never, ever want to leave. What would it be? Who would be there? What would it look like?

You wanna know something really sad? Meridith's personal utopia involved something wonderful and romantic, something elaborate and grand, whimsical and fantastical. But when mom and I envision our "personal utopia" it involves a table with everyone sitting around it eating. (I think I might need to see a professional about this. I don't think there's any inkblot in the world that would have trouble diagnosing this problem.)

So on that sad note, allow me to introduce you to something else you might find in my personal utopia...or at least something you might find sitting on my table in my personal utopia.






You can find this little gem at http://www.thehomesicktexan.blogspot.com/


You don't have to thank me. Just promise me that when you envision your personal utopia, you will envision me sitting around the dinner table with you, will you? Thank you.


Oh, and if you're hanging out with your momma tonight like I am, then make yourself a big bowl of this, because oh sweet mercy, it was divine...


Ninfa’s Green Sauce

Ingredients:
3 medium-sized green tomatoes, coarsely chopped (you can substitute yellow if you can’t find green ones, but never use red)
4 tomatillos, cleaned and chopped
1 to 2 jalapenos, stemmed and coarsely chopped
3 small garlic cloves
3 medium-sized ripe avocados, peeled, pitted and sliced
4 sprigs cilantro
1 tsp. of salt
1 1/2 cups of sour cream


Method:
Combine chopped tomatoes, tomatillos, jalapenos and garlic in a saucepan.
Bring to a boil (tomatoes provide the liquid), reduce heat and simmer 10 to 15 minutes.
Remove from heat and let cool slightly.
Place tomato mixture with the avocados, cilantro and salt in food processor or blender and blend until smooth.
Pour into a bowl and stir in sour cream.
Makes 4 to 5 cups.


Add some Julio's chips....








And leave me a love note in the comments.


11 comments:

Anonymous said...

You had me at the green sauce! Darn it...I love that stuff to much and I would have to say I adore food too. Can you tell Im from Louisiana! Guess when your from the south food just taste better~ Enjoy your Mom....yall make me crack up!

Melissa said...

God bless mommas...can't live with them, can't shoot 'em. I have a mother very similar to yours, a wonderful woman of the Word, SS teacher extraordinare, good Christian woman, who usually drives me to drink when she visits. But like you, wouldn't trade her for the world!

Another thought: Why Melissa, I remember when your sweet momma came to the CNC conference and spoke like a true Godly woman! I can't *imagine* her not being wonderful and perfect all the time! (note the sarcasm) Of course, my momma also does things things like this too. Her SS class hangs on every word she says and she has several "young girls our age" who come to her for advice. They think she hung the moon. News folks: she didn't! But I love her to death.

I guess a lot like God loves us...oops, this is getting to spiritual for me...gotta go!

Love you sis, will miss your smiling face when it is shining in TX.

O:)
Another Melissa

Tracy P. said...

Sounds like a fun book. I have one like that in the car that I should get out more often. It's so much fun when the kids are big enough to start discussing--there was a girl in our state wrestling meet last week, so we discussed that on the way to church on Sunday. Good times!

You and your mom are so blessed to have each other, although they do complicate things sometimes!

Shawn said...

Mmmm, I could have had that for breakfast it sounds so good.
~H

Meredith said...

I love how your holding the Julio's chips like a momma showing off her babies! We love us some Julio's at our house too...some meals just aren't complete without them! Thanks for the recipe for the Green Sauce - I've still got half a bag of Julio's that I'll be dippin' after work!YAHOO!

Lynda said...

(((((Mama Ninfa)))) God rest her soul :-)

Osage Bluff Quilter said...

Are you wearing "mixit" brand jeans? They look like mine.(I can tell by the hem in the pants) If so I love them!
Osagebluffquilter

Melissa said...

Did I tell you I called Julio's to have some of those chips sent to me and they were like $11 per bag? Are they that good? I just couldn't justify it.
I will be making that sauce. I made a really good mexican casserole last night. I've had myself 2 big helpings today. Can I get in on that professional help? I recognize I have a serious problem. That is why I heart you......and your mom.

Anonymous said...

The green tomatoes are out in the yard, the tomatillos, etc. I can get at Publix, but what do I do about the Julio's chips? Would Doritos be awful? The dip sounds good enough to eat with a spoon.

Lori said...

I can't believe it! I had to make sure I read "NINFA's" right. Everytime we go home to TX we visit my husbands family in Bryan and we ALWAYS go to Ninfas and I ALWAYS eat my weight in the green stuff! Now I can just do it at home. Thanks!

Angela said...

My personal utopia definitely involves food - see my blog for evidence of that, LOL! But that green sauce looks great! Is it basically a verison of guacamole? We made some guac last night (Pioneer Woman's recipe) and I always love that stuff. Will definitely try yours!

Hope the packing and moving process is going well. I know that's no fun!