Nov 20, 2008

When Life Hands You Lemons, Fill Your Glass Up and Drink.

Are you a "my glass if half empty" or "my glass if half full" kind of person?

Me? I'm a "my glass is getting a little low, let's fill 'er up with some sweet tea" kind of woman. But that's just me.

Dependent on where you stand will depend on how you see my day today. (Which is now not really today as much as it is yesterday since I am writing today's post yesterday yet telling the story as yesterday, which it was, yet posting it today, which it is. Make sense?)

So Poppie came to town again. Poppie is my dad; well, he's "dad" to me but he's "Poppie" to Remi. And since she is really cute and has dimples and doesn't yet know how to ask for anything, he answers to Poppie and Poppie only. I haven't been acknowledged by him since May of '06.

Whenever Poppie comes to town we get to eat wherever we want. FOR FREE. Poppie's treat!

So yeah, I had to straighten my messy house, change the sheets on his bed and finally put away the laundry that had been stacked on my couch for the last week...but I got a free meal out of it.

GLASS IS HALF FULL!

When it came time to take Poppie back to the airport I had to get up two really grumpy babies, put them in to a freezing cold car and drive their grumpy selves into town so we could grab a quick bite of lunch with my husband first.

But Poppie filled my car up with gas.

HELLO!?! GLASS IS HALF FULL!

After eating a quick bite of lunch with Poppie and two grumpy babies and the AG, I loaded up said babies into my car and had barely gotten out onto the highway when - BOOM! - blowout.

So the AG and Poppie turned their car around and came to meet me and help me. Which was nice since Rocco was starving and I had no water to make a bottle and Remi was tired and was crying for a non-existent sucker and it was freezing cold and we were stuck on the side of the road.

But Poppie helped get my car into the shop and then sprung for four brand new tires!

That my lovelies is called - GLASS IS HALF FULL!!

Now, I'm not sure how my dad might see it. I mean, he did buy dinner for me and the AG and Remi and Meridith and Brandon. And he did fill up my empty gas tank. And he did buy the AG and I some lunch. And he did purchase four new Toyo tires.

So, yeah, he's out a good deal of money.

But do you think he viewed that as "glass is half full," or "glass is half empty?"

He did get to spend some pretty good quality time with me. So I'm thinking his cup was full and running over.

But that's just me.

16 comments:

Melissa said...

Don't you just love Daddies? I've got an awesome one like that too!

O:)
Melissa

Amy said...

My Daddy bought us a minivan a year ago! Just because! My glass never goes empty! Know why? Jesus will supply ALL of my needs exceedingly and abundantly more that I can ever ask or imaging! I have two Daddy's that watch over me!

Be Blessed,

Amy (Honestly)

Sheri said...

I am a glass half full. I just have to remember - it gets better from here. And, as the above commenter stated - I have TWO Daddies who want nothing but the best and most wonderful things for me!

Sissy said...

I think my dad would make the best grandpa if he were still living! He totally would have been like that and I totally would have let him. I can be jealous, right? You'll love me through it.

Anonymous said...

I wish I had a dad. Especially one like that.

Shelley said...

I am a glass is half full gal most of the time. But somedays......

Shelley said...

I am a glass is half full gal most of the time. But somedays......

Laura Marchant said...

Does he want to visit me :-)

Sharon's Journey said...

It's hard to beat a Poppie. (or an Uncle Gene!)

Rhonda said...

My parent's are the same way! Very generous! Ain't it a beautiful thing??

Anonymous said...

Giiiirrrll! You're glass isn't half full, it's overflowing! You better recognize!!!!

Merrie said...

Aren't parents wonderful? This sounds just like my folks, and I hope it's the kind of folks we'll all be years from now. :)

Leighann said...

Can we borrow Poppie for a weekend?

Denise @ Sunflowers, Chocolate and Little Boys said...

Definetly a Glass Half Full day....Poppie sounds like a wonderful blessing.

Ashley said...

Just keep that sweet tea a pourin'!!!

Anonymous said...

I would say your Poppie is a wonderful man who loves his little girl and I'm not talking Remi either.
I lost my Dad about 18 months ago. Remember to tell him you love him and thank him for all the half full days in your life. Those men deserve to know no matter who we marry, how many sons we have, they're the first men in our lives and we love them without them lifting a finger. But if they want us to wrap them around our little fingers, well...what's a girl to do?