Jun 13, 2008

You Asked. Now You Shall Recieve.

Before we go any further, I have a few things to get off my chest from this past week.

#1. I had heard that wasps' die after they sting you but I had never heard that about bees. But I know what I saw. And that bee was out to live it up in his last hours. 'Belee dat.

#2. I am sooooooooooo contempohip. With not a bit of crunch in me. I mean seriously, if I could have lunch with two people it would be Darlene Zschech and Rob Bell. Mock me, I don't care.

#3. Yes. He is very hot. I know this. For he tells me all the time.

Kickin' Kimberly wanted to know:
A. What one specific trait do you have that you hope is passed on to Remi.
B. What trait do you pray to God Remi never has?

Oh, sheesh. Don't think I haven't thought about this a million and one times. It's interesting, when you adopt a child you wonder what is in their DNA. Were their birthparents calm or hot-headed? Were they overachievers or underachievers? Oh, the questions that race through your minds.

But then you bring them home.

And Lucky Charms become their favorite breakfast. Their play microphone is their favorite toy. And they love to look at themselves in the mirror and say, "Ohhhh...Remi. You precious." And you think, "They're just like me!!!!!" Hooray!

Hooray? Really?

Because when it comes to one trait of mine that I hope Remi never has to deal with...it would be....oh my, this is honest....my metabolism. (Go ahead, yuck it up.) But it's the truth. There are very few "featherweights" in my family. We've all had to deal with our weight our entire lives. And sometimes it was just plain hard. Hard to lose it. Hard to deal with it. Hard to hear the criticism. Hard, hard, hard. And I just want her to look and feel her best. Always. There is so much in this life for a little girl to deal with as it is, so I hope she can always look in the mirror and feel good about what she sees. If she can do that, then the smart-mouth, laughter during super serious times, and inability to memorize scripture should just take care of themselves.

However, if there is one trait I hope for her to have it is my...oh, here we go again...ability to pick good men. Actually, I meant that as a joke but now that I'm thinking about it, maybe I will go with that. And what I mean by that is this. I hope she finds her growing up years fun and carefree - not serious and tied down. I hope she shares them with good sister friends - not backstabbing fairweathers. I hope she is at church every time the doors are opened and finds her lifeblood in the things that are going on there - not at the latest, greatest social event. I hope she dates occasionally - not every single Friday night because everyone else is. And then goes off to college and meets the man of her dreams - because she didn't meet a thousand of them in high school. And I hope she believes him when he tells her how special she is - because she didn't already hear it from every Tom, Dick and Harry.

That's how I did it. And it worked well for me.

So yeah, picking out a good man. Is that a trait?

If not that, though, confidence. I hope she walks, talks, and worships - with confidence.

Teasing Trish actually said: Melissa, how would you explain artificial insemination to my 8 year old son? He has a very good friend in school whose mother is not married and has decided to have another baby by method of AI. We have always explained that babies are from a MOM AND DAD...he knows that she does not have a dad and therefore is curious about how the mom got pregnant...Please help me avoid a situation similar to the dead pet conversation, and I would prefer to avoid anything that involves a turkey baster and tomatoes.

I call her "teasing" because surely this is a joke. Right? Trish must think that just because I'm getting my seminary degree, as we speak, that I am as wise as Beth Moore. As candid as Joyce Meyer. And as anointed as Kay Arthur.

I'm not. Not even close.

So therefore here's my advice. This is and a buck will get you a cup of coffee...that's about it. Tell him. In full detail. Tell him every single sordid detail. He'll never ask again and he'll never believe you anyway.

But lovelies, this is where you come in. Many of you have children in this age range. What do you suggest Trish do?

Please leave a comment letting her know. That way she'll be satisfied with a response and somehow I'll receive credit for it since this is my blog and I was brave enough to post her question.

P.S. Trish, you no allowed questions any mo'.

Well, gang, that's all for this Friday. I have a few more questions that I have yet to post and those will be coming up soon, but after that - it's all up to you. Email me your questions and I'll get to them. Remember, any question about any thing at any time. (Except for Trish, obviously.) I haven't received near enough - because let's be honest. I love to hear myself talk.

Have a great day my friends.

3 comments:

Lula! said...

I couldn't get past the Darlene Zschech reference because not only would I want her to dine with me, but I'd also politely, yet firmly demand that she serenade me the entire time. And when not singing, I want her to talk, talk, talk with that amazing accent of hers. Let's plan a trip to her church, shall we? She so needs to be our friend.

And I can't even go there, Trish. Yeah, you're totally not allowed anymore questions, girl. I mean that in a loving way, too.

Lula! said...

I couldn't get past the Darlene Zschech reference because not only would I want her to dine with me, but I'd also politely, yet firmly demand that she serenade me the entire time. And when not singing, I want her to talk, talk, talk with that amazing accent of hers. Let's plan a trip to her church, shall we? She so needs to be our friend.

And I can't even go there, Trish. Yeah, you're totally not allowed anymore questions, girl. I mean that in a loving way, too.

Trish said...

It is the God Honest truth........

there is no way I could have made that one up. And now the said eight year old is wondering why I keep putting him off and won't just answer his question.
Melissa I expected something more wise from someone of your edumacatedness. And Lula, surely you could have asked that doctor with whom you canoodle with each night how he would explain it to his children, God forbid the topic eve come up in sweet Libby's second grade some day!

Oh well, i guess I'm just gonna have to put this one out there on my blog for my readers to help me with........or maybe I'll just take Melissa's advice and tell him everything. Every.little.detail.