Apr 4, 2008

Where's the beef?

You had to know that title was coming sooner or later.

I have to be totally honest with all of you. I was not looking forward to tonight's meal. No offense to the precious Miss Kim who sent it in, but it was full of fresh things. Full of greens and reds. Full of goodness. Yawn.

But upon closer inspection of the recipe I noticed that it called for 3/4 - 1 cup of mayo. And my friends, things started looking up.

THE MEAL:
So tonight I made Kim's Pasta Salad.

This was not like things I usually make. When I go to the grocery I don't normally stay on the outer section. Did you know they serve fruit and veggies at the grocery store? I know! I normally stay on the inside aisle; where the good things grow.



Here's what you do:

1 box of shell pasta (cooked according to directions and rinsed with cold water)
1 can of black olives, chopped or sliced
1/4 cup chopped green pepper
1/4 cup chopped onion
small can sliced mushrooms, drained
1-2 chopped fresh tomatoes
3/4 - 1 cup of Miracle whip light

Mix and enjoy!

THE TIPS:

Okay, first of all, it calls for a tomato. But the AG hates tomatoes, so I have to be tricky. If I put in those little cherry tomatoes then he doesn't really think he's eating a real tomato. Okay, he's probably figured this little trick out since he's 35 and all...but I think he's just being sweet to me and doesn't want to be too difficult. But I add the little cherry tomatoes since we have this little game going.

Also, it calls for Miracle Whip light. Light mayonnaise? Okay, this goes against everything I believe as a Christian woman. A believer. A wife. An American. I cannot fathom putting light mayo in anything. So even though the recipe calls for it - and it may even make the recipe taste better - I couldn't do it. So I prayed about it. And God agreed.




THE RESULTS:

You have to know the Attorney General loves him some pasta salad. In fact, he knew this was coming up on this weeks menu and he has asked about it every night. Every. Single. Night. I was happy to make his dream come true tonight by serving this up on a plate for him. Of course his first comment? "Is there any meat in here? Would a little chicken really hurt?" Hmph.

I probably will add a little chicken to it next time, just to make it a complete meal for the AG. But I liked sitting down to it, it was light and easy and I would be throwing the chicken in for him. Not for me. Well, maybe a little for me.

I am not huge on pasta salad, so this wasn't something I would want to make all the time. But he loved it. But he has the mind of an 80 year old and could eat at Golden Corral every night just for the pasta and macaroni salad bar.

She, however, loved it. And on occasion I would see her just licking the mayo off of her hands. That'samygirl.


So if you average our thoughts together you get: (3 out of 5 gavels)

No comments: