Apr 8, 2008

Wave Granny! You're on the Internet.

My Granny: In 10 points or less.

If you think the stories about my mom are good, you should meet my Granny. This would be my mom's mom. Oh my.

1. Mom informed me last night that Granny is still an avid reader of my "blob." Which makes me happy. In fact, she told mom that she was reading it a day or so ago and it made her hungry for meatloaf. When mom asked if she used the recipe I gave she just laughed and said, "Well, Lord, no."

2. Granny worked for 182 years at the Diboll post office. There are approximately 94 people in Diboll and my granny knows each one of them by name, their best friends, their dog, their science partner from the 5th grade and how much they pay in taxes. She still checks in on them and sends gifts when their grandchildren have children. She has been retired from the Diboll post office and not living within a 20 mile radius of Diboll for the last 30 years. And they still miss her.

3. My Granny was once late to a funeral. When she slid in next to my mom she had taco sauce down the front of her blouse. She said she had driven through Taco Bell and they had purposely given her "an exploding taca." Yes, I said taca. So did she. My mom got tickled and had to leave the funeral.

4. My Granny once mailed me a letter that I have kept to this day. When the AG and I were first married we didn't have a penny to our name. She knew we were broke and were believing God would provide. When I received her letter it had one little mustard seed taped to the front of it. Just looking at the mustard seed meant the world to me...

5. When I opened the letter all it said was, "Melissa be good to him. You don't deserve him. Don't act like your mother."

6. My Granny still mails me things she has cut out of the newspaper for me. Comic strips, questions for Ann Landers, police reports and recipes for diabetics. I am not a diabetic.

7. My Granny is 77 years old. She faithfully serves the Senior Citizens group lunch at our church once a month. She fervently believes she is not yet old enough to be a member. She refers to "them" as in "'they' love to hear bible stories," "'they' love to see books with pictures in them." When mom asked who she was talking about she said "the old people."

8. You can go to my Granny's house at any given time during the week and she will prepare you a meal. Don't all grandmothers? But ahhh...mine is different. Only Granny will serve you cottage cheese, taco soup, 3 boiled wieners, fried okra, spaghetti and cheesecake. All. At. One. Time.

9. My Granny came all the way to Tennessee to hear me sing at a special showcase my senior year of college. This was a big deal for me and I was so excited to have her come. After my 30 minute performance she threw her hands up in the air and clapped as loudly as everyone else. Then turned to my mom and said, "I didn't understand one word she said."

10. My Granny knows everyone in the free world. Everyone. So once my dad said to her, "Mary, I need you to help me with something. I'm looking for someone to mow my yard." Granny thought for a minute and said, "Okay Gene, I'll try, but I've never done anything like that before."

5 comments:

Mindy said...

I read your blog, even though you don't know me. I think you are not only funny but also inspiring.. I had to comment on this one to let you know that I want to meet your Granny!
:-)

Anonymous said...

You hit the nail on the head....You know we are going to be just like her

Michelle

Anonymous said...

This one brought tears and laughs:)
Randi

Putting the FUN in DysFUNctional said...

OMG, your family reminds me so much of own, and this story is great. Your blob, I love it!

Mamalaina said...

OH MY I laughed...boiled weiners and Taco Soup! That killed me!