Apr 7, 2008

That is not Velveeta.

Well, I knew this day would finally come. The day I made a recipe and forgot to take pictures. Please forgive me, although let's be honest, what were those pictures really helping? As if you don't know what ground meat looks like, I have to take a picture for you? Seriously, I can't babysit you all like this anymore.

I kid.

THE MEAL

So tonight we had Nicolle's Meatloaf.

Now, before we go any further let's go ahead and make it known that meatloaf is something I do try and cook, occasionally. Especially for my meat and potatoes man that I love. But over the years I have never come across a recipe that the AG has loved all that much. Until about a year ago. I tried my hand one night at Paula Deen's Cheeseburger Meatloaf. I think he saw the Lord that night. So to my dear, sweet friend who sent me the recipe I cooked tonight... no offense, but no one can compete with Paula. It's a losing battle for all of us mere mortals who try and keep the home fires burning. So don't take it personally.

The recipe is good and easy though. Which I love:
1 lb. sirloin
1/2 white onion, finely chopped
1/2 cup bread crumbs
salt and pepper
3 tblsp. mustard
1 tblsp. ketchup
5 tblsp. BBQ sauce
Cream of chicken soup

Mix all ingredients except for soup, make a big burger/loaf and put in loaf pan and cook at 350 degrees for 45 minutes to one hour or until done. The last 10 minutes, take the loaf out of the oven, pour soup over the top and cook for 10 more minutes.

THE TIPS

My recipe-giver suggests' Open Pitt BBQ sauce but I just used some that we had leftover from eating at SaltGrass last week (which on another note, I highly recommend.)

She said to pair it with mashed potatoes and corn. So I did. It was Americana at it's finest.

THE RESULTS

Well, when I pulled it out of the oven the AG immediately got excited when he thought the soup was actually a layer of ...VELVEETA...covering the loaf. Can you believe that would actually excite someone? Lordy.

After I explained that it wasn't Velveeta I also had to explain that "No, it doesn't have fried onions on the top." "No, it doesn't have 2 cups of cheddar cheese in the middle of it." See what you're up against when you give a man a slab of Paula Deen on a plate? Therefore the AG could only give it two gavels. While I, for it's sheer ease, and the fact that I should have lied and told him it was Velveeta, give it three.
Resulting in...2 1/2 gavels (out of 5) gavels.











No comments: